By our VPE Shaantam Dar:
Here’s some tips for all first year students on what you can do to prepare yourself for uni!
- Familiarise yourself with the student portal and make sure to set up all your passwords and email for your zID.
- Enroll in all your classes as early as possible to get the best times that suit your own schedule. (Very Important!)
- Don’t underestimate 9am lectures!
- Start to look into your course progression and what subjects you should be studying to graduate on time! If you’re a commerce student, check out our student guide Accounting 101 https://accsocunsw.com/accounting101/
- Want to skip the massive queue for ID cards on the first day? Download the Uni-verse App use register using your ZID to save yourself from lining up at 7am (that’s what I did) or waiting in line for over an hour 🙁
Orientation Week: 🌶️🌶️🌶️
- Pick up your free uni shirt from the UNSW Bookstore! Free Merch.
- Go on a guided tour around the uni with yellow shirts and join any societies that interest you 🙂
- Sign up for an orientation camp, every faculty runs one at the start of the year and it is a great way to start meeting people from the same faculty and degree with similar interests.
- Meet new people and have fun!
- Visit the Accounting Society store for free merch (Wow!) and learn more about what we do!
1st week of Uni: 💦💦💦
- Make sure you start building a routine that you will most likely stick to for the rest of your time in uni, whether that be attending all your lectures or watching them all online.
- Try to attend your lectures in person! Personally, it helped me retain the content each week much better, which helped me achieve higher scores in the mid-sems and finals.
- Explore all the good food options around uni, there are many!
- Have fun and enjoy uni, everyone’s experience will be different but it’s up to you to make the most of it <3